[TxMt] Re: Can I hide .txt extension in TextMate?

Steve King sking at arbor.net
Wed Jan 5 19:16:00 UTC 2011

On 2011-01-05 13:45, Rob McBroom wrote:
> Until every platform agrees on a way to store metadata and every
> network protocol is updated to transmit that metadata along with the
> file, I think we're stuck using extensions.

Well, we *could* infer the file type from its actual content instead of
hoping that the filename and other metadata are present and correct. The
'file' command does this pretty successfully, though it does sometimes
get fooled trying to identify the specifics of text files. Many editors
use a combination of content detection and file extension to figure out
the file type.  (That's a hint, Allan! :-)

$ file *
INSTALL:                ASCII English text
MAINTAINERS:            UTF-8 Unicode English text
Makefile:               ASCII make commands text
README:                 ASCII English text
config.err:             ASCII c program text, with very long lines
config.h:               ASCII c program text
config.log:             ASCII c program text, with very long lines
configure:              POSIX shell script text executable
doc:                    directory
ffmpeg:                 Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
ffmpeg.c:               ASCII c program text
ffmpeg.d:               ASCII text
ffmpeg.o:               Mach-O 64-bit object x86_64

--
Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer