[TxMt] Re: Difficulty using TextMate as external editor

Mon Jan 3 21:56:12 UTC 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Ian Greig wrote:

> The "mate" command question
> Another way devised by Tinderbox users involves using a macro to call the
> "mate" command. That brings me full circle. I do not seem to be able to make
> this work, even by invoking the command line directly in Terminal. I would
> like some help with this please.

Are you just running `mate` with no options or anything? All that will do is launch TextMate (or bring it to the front if it's already running). To get anything useful, you'd do something like this on the command line:

    mate filename.txt

or

    some_other_command | mate

The second example will open a new document with the output from some_other_command as its contents, which is kinda what you want but not really. The initial command has no idea where the text went and isn't waiting to get it back modified.

> ODB Editor Suite question
> Could someone explain the ODB Editor Suite and whether this is a way forward
> for a non-Cocoa application?

Allan would probably have a better answer, but I'll try. I believe it's become a de facto standard way for programs to send something to an editor, but also notice when the editor is done with the text so they can take further action. It's used almost exclusively by command line tools as far as I know. It's not related to Cocoa, but is definitely a way for non-Cocoa applications to make use of TextMate.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>