[TxMt] Re: Nothing is read from the tm_properties file

Tue Dec 27 13:26:16 UTC 2011

On 26 Dec 2011, at 16:07, Reaves, Timothy wrote:

>> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 4:09 PM, tomdringer <tom at tomdringer.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a .tm_properties file in the root of my working directory, but it is
>>> not being read. Font and size is just being ignored. Anyone else had this?
>
> Several people are having this issue.

I am unaware of users who can’t get it working, but some problems that users may run into:

1. If there is a syntax error in the file, it will be ignored. If this is the case, there will be errors in Console. The parser is presently very fragile, e.g. ‘=’ must be surrounded by spaces, strings with special characters must be quoted, etc.

2. Not all settings can be applied to file types (i.e. [ *.foo ]). This is just a temporary limitation which will likely be lifted in an upcoming build.

3. A setting for a scope (e.g. [ text.html ]) has higher priority than one for a file extension (e.g. [ *.html ]) regardless of where in the hierarchy the .tm_properties file is placed — this has been a gotcha since the default .tm_properties under TextMate.app enables soft wrap for the text scope.