[TxMt] Re: Save as

trevor trevor at vocaro.com
Tue Dec 20 22:48:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 22:24:03 +0100, Berend Hasselman wrote:
> Autosave beyond user control means that saves can happen with
> wrong/incomplete/inadvertent versions.

I don't think this is a bad thing. A document may be in an incomplete
or inconsistent state, but that doesn't mean I'm ok with losing that
state if my app crashes. And if I want to make sure that the current
"good" state is preserved, I can just do "Save a Version". I don't see
that my control is lost with Auto Save.

> (It is quite easy to inadvertently change something in a pdf in
> Preview and unless the pdf is not locked this will be saved).

Yeah, but you can always do "Revert Document" to go back.

I guess I'm in the minority here because I love Auto Save...

* I don't lose work because I forgot to hit Cmd+S every 5 minutes and
my app crashed
* If I need to log out or restart, I don't get a half-dozen "Do you
want to save this?" dialogs
* I can make a change and save the document, knowing I can revert the
change if I need to

Of course, some apps (like TextMate) already support some variation of
auto save, but it's nice having it standardized as an OS-supported
feature *everywhere*.

Trevor