[TxMt] [TM2] Visibility of current file browser root

John Whitley whitley at bangpath.org
Tue Dec 20 00:22:42 UTC 2011

Something I'd like to see improved in TM2 is the visibility of the
current file browser root.  Since I started working with TM2, I've
noticed several things about the file browser:

- I frequently glance at the file browser/project drawer to orient
  myself, essentially answering "which project's window is this?"

- The "project" indication, the browser's current directory, is now
  the smallest text on the page. (I use a larger font than the default
  for the editing windows.)  It's also tucked in the midst of a lot of
  other stuff, making it hardre to quickly pick out.

- The current directory name is truncated by the buttons to its right
  when the file browser pane is narrowed even a bit.

- Quickly inspecting the contents of the file browser is often not
  illuminating.  Imagine working with multiple Rails apps, multiple
  git clones of the same project, etc.

- No location information is available when the drawer is closed. By
  contrast TM1's default formatting of the title bar with "<icon>
  <file> - <project>".

---------

On that last point, I note that the window title is now user-configurable in
.tm_properties; great news.  However, I've not had any luck in
recreating TM1's behavior.  For example, in ~/.tm_properties I have:

windowTitle = '${TM_DISPLAYNAME}\
${TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY:+ - $TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY}'

and in a project root directory, I have .tm_properties with:

projectDirectory = '${CWD}'

After restarting TextMate (is there an easier way to reload the
props?), it seems that TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY is never set even when
projectDirectory has been set in .tm_properties.  Am I just missing
something about projectDirectory/TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY, or is this a
bug?

Thanks,
John