[TxMt] Re: [TM2] selection behavior

Sun Dec 18 18:53:46 UTC 2011

On 18 Dec 2011, at 18:32, Gerd Knops wrote:

> I just don't see the sense in combining all "non-word" characters into one unit. The only case where that might make sense is an operator consisting of multiple non-word characters, like the '->' in "oPtr->var" or less-equal/greater-equal operators. And I would assume that the grammar can define those cases.

You’re saying there are more sequences of non-word characters (excl. whitespace) that should not be considered a single unit, than sequences of non-word characters which are a single unit, making the default behavior suboptimal?

Looking through my current C++ source, what I find is comparison operators (==, !=, <=, >=), algebraic operators (++, --, +=, -=, *=, /=, |=, &=, etc.), logical operators (&&, ||), field accessors (->, .*, ::), empty braces (()), comments (//, /*, */), etc.

> In all other cases combining all "non-word" characters into one unit when extending a double-click selection is just plain obnoxious behavior, as the above example shows.

I am not sure I agree with you that your one example shows that your desired behavior is better, as I’m not even sure what you’re requesting to have out-of-the-box (w/o bundle settings) would give what I’d consider optimal unit selection behavior.

Anyway, since you didn’t get the unit selection improvements working correct before today (AFAIK), how about spending some time  with the new behavior and then submit some constructive feedback wrt. how it can be improved when you have a more complete picture of where it clashes with your expectations?