[TxMt] Re: [TM2] Japanese-support not correctly working

Koichi MATSUMOTO mzch at mac.com
Thu Dec 15 17:58:11 UTC 2011

Hi Kevin,

I don't think that a text editor needs to handle various text formats or styles
like a word processor, either. Of course, no one requires perfect input controls.
However, I suppose it's a serious problem that a text editor can't handle a character
input to a plain text correctly. This is such a basic problem. While writing source
codes, it's few to enter CJK characters very much, but not 0. Only for the purpose
end-users should use other tools...it is cart before the houses, isn't it?

The text editors which has little problems with character inputs in CJK languages
are only BBEdit, SubEthaEdit and TextEdit.app, but I believe it's preferable that
Textmates will join the group.

Best,

On 2011/12/15, at 19:29, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> Anyone having issues with an input mode please write tm-support at macromates.come with name of input mode and exact steps to reproduce + expected / actual results.
>
> I am aware of issues, the problem for me is that there are 10 or so different input modes and they all have slightly different behavior and there is pretty much no documentation on how I should implement this — my fix for one of the Chinese input modes is what seems to have introduced this “return overwrites the glyphs”, but overtyping was required for the Chinese one.
>
> So the only way I can really “fix” these issues is to document the input modes’ behavior and come up with a heuristic that please them all — but they are too alien for me to figure out how they are supposed to work without some help from users.
>
> As for the rest of the system, my guess is that they (NSTextView) are handling this outside Cocoa (more low-level) because I pretty much has been through exactly the same with deciphering Cocoa key events and supporting different keymaps — here I also ended up with a heuristic I had to alter multiple times as I learned about new keymaps for which the old heuristic failed — even Apple was unable to provide me with code that could correctly handle the problem (I used a paid support incident).
>
> OK, this was a bit of a rant… just so you guys know that lack of fully functioning CJK is by no means because I don’t think it’s important.
(snip)

--
 Koichi MATSUMOTO - http://maccoterie.com/
    contact me? please see http://mch.tel/