[TxMt] Tab bar ideas

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Thu Dec 15 10:17:02 UTC 2011

I've never much cared for the way TM populates the tab bar by creating a tab for every open folder. After only a few windows are open (over any interval of time, even days or weeks), the available space is used up and one must click on the "overflow" menu to see more tabs which partially reduces the effectiveness of the tab concept. It's even worse when a tab that you want has disappeared into the the menu. I am constantly closing many tabs at once just to clean up.

Also, the Command-1, Command-2 is really great, but once a window appears in another-numbered tab, suddenly you have to re-learn the new key combination.

Maybe a better organizer is a kind of favorites bar that can be populated manually (but keeping the Command-N concept) while keeping a file history list as a separate entity. In my view, merging the tab concept with a file history, which is pretty much the present situation, is awkward.

Lastly, it would be cool to be able to drag a window's proxy icon (I think that's the right name) to the project window's tab bar to cause that window to close but to then be accessible by a tab. (Merge All Windows is usually too aggressive.) OK too would be just a menu command, Merge Front Window, but this would assume that the program knows where in the tab bar to make the new tab, but it won't know, necessitating a separate drag operation within the tab bar.

Jerry