[TxMt] Re: Projects are gone in TM2?

Dru Kepple dru at summitprojects.com
Wed Dec 14 19:09:13 UTC 2011

On Dec 14, 2011, at 9:46 AM, Max Lein wrote:

> Am 14.12.2011 um 16:32 schrieb Dave Baldwin:
>
>> It may not work for you but I gave up on textmate's project feature a long time ago and just open the app's directory in textmate.  [...]
>>
>> You can include any other directory in your apps directory using a symlink - not quite the same as how is would be done in a  project, but achieves the same thing.
>
>> I'd be curious to know what I am overlooking that makes projects so compelling.

> I mainly use TextMate for larger LaTeX and very much prefer Projects over just loading directories. I very much like grouping files (e. g. content, misc, logs) in subdirectories that don't exist in the file system and cannot be put in that order in the file system (since LaTeX generates them in the same directory as the tex source files. Furthermore, I can arrange the files in the order I want them to appear in (the most important ones are on top of the list).
>
> Also, LaTeX generates tons of files I'm never interested in, but share the same ending as other files (e. g. I may care about some log files, but not others).

My 2 cents, even though I haven't been able to play with .tm_properties files yet (just learned about through this thread, combined with not being able to run TM 1 and 2 at the same time meaning there's a damper on my productivity).

But is it possible that at least there could be a way to be backwards-compatible with project files?  Like, I double-click a tmproj, and it just does the proper thing in TM2?  Even if I get a warning saying that stuff has been converted to a .tm_properties file or something?

In terms of why I like tmproj files, I often use project files to gather disparate folders.  Sometimes that means a folder on the server, plus a folder on my machine, plus another folder on my machine for a framework.  Other times is means paring down the entire project folder into just the elements I'm interested in for a particular project.  Point being that my project files are not simply a single folder opened up as a single project.  I'm not sure if the new TM2 features would allow me to replicate this.  If they do, then fine, I can adapt, but if not, then I'd be remiss to not encourage some feature that will.

I also like being able to double-click the tmproj in the Finder, too.  Call me sentimental!

Thanks,
Dru