[TxMt] Re: TM modifies/destroys the contents of the system-wide pasteboard

Steve King sking at arbor.net
Wed Apr 27 13:58:42 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-27 06:59, Gaby Vanhegan wrote:
> Appropriately styled as per each line. When I pasted the text back in
> to TextEdit (step 7) all four lines were underlined and the other
> stylings had been lost. This happened if there was a document open in
> TextMate or not. If I change the order of the lines, it still comes
> back all underlined.
> I am using OSX 10.6.7 and TextMate 1.5.10 (1623)

Ditto here. Same OS rev, slightly newer version of TextMate: 1.5.10 (1631)

I think the fact that everything is underlined when you paste it back
into TextEdit is a red herring.  That's what I got the first time, too,
but I tried again after explicitly setting the style back to "Default".
Just plain text, no underlining.  I'm pretty sure the underlining is
just due to that being the current style at your cursor position when
you did the paste.

I've never noticed this before in years of using TextMate. Actually, if
I'd known I might have considered it a feature.  I often copy some
styled text, paste it into TextMate to remove the styling, then copy and
paste it from TM into something else.  I could have saved a copy/paste
step! :-)  (But I agree with the original assessment, it's bad form to
mess with the pasteboard contents.)

--
Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer