[TxMt] Re: Honest assessment of TM2's state please!

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Tue Apr 26 23:53:36 UTC 2011

On Apr 26, 2011, at 6:15 PM, Apricot AN wrote:

> The reality is that TM2 isn't ready and may never be, and people who are really dissatisfied with TM need to be looking at alternatives.  If TM2 comes out, that will be the nicest present.

One problem is that without a clear direction folks are unwilling to sink a lot of time into enhancing TextMate's bundles and plugins (I know I am, though I did break down and improved git support in projectplus somewhat).

TextMate has no competition as far as I am concerned, but it could be so much better!

>   So what alternatives are there?
>
> The most hopeful alternative I've seen is Kod <http://kodapp.com/>. Naturally, Kod is having a little developmental stall, but it's open-source and could be worked on by interested developers.

I had a look a while back, and as is I don't think it has the bones to come close to TextMate, never mind surpass it. Hope they prove me wrong!

For Objective-C AppCode [1] is a nice effort, but if I could convince myself to live with a Java-based editor I'd probably go back to jEdit [2] which I used before TextMate. And Xcode4 just has me wonder what planet it's developers live on.

One of the reasons I am disappointed with Allan's lack of communication is this: part of what made TextMate a success (and quite lucrative for Allan) were (and are) all the (free) community contributions (a big thank you to all!). I have no problem with that, I got a great tool out of it. But to leave all the people that spent many hours of their time enhancing and improving TextMate hanging like this, that is disappointing.

Gerd

[1]: http://www.jetbrains.com/objc/
[2]: http://www.jedit.org/