[TxMt] Re: Honest assessment of TM2's state please!

Brandon M Fryslie bmf at email.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 25 19:53:20 UTC 2011

Alan does not owe anybody anything.
If you are unhappy with TM1 use another application - end of story.

No, he does not but since it has been almost 2 years since his last update
on the subject (which I've read 10x) he could drop a line with a little
update.  What I'm concerned about is bundle development.  I feel like the
bundles are going to take a while to populate the new version, so even after
it drops it's going to take time before it is really as useful as 1x.

Further more, without any information on bundle backward compatibility (my
gut says 'no', at least without modification) does it make sense to invest a
lot of time and resources on developing new bundles for 1x?  If 2x is gone
for good, yes.  If 2x is a year or two away, yes.  But without knowing, I
find it hard to devote the time from my busy schedule.

I know Allan says he isn't really concerned with things like that, and I
tend to agree that they aren't his problems to worry about if he doesn't
want to.  However, a lot of people do a lot of 'real work' with TextMate and
a little information would go a long way towards helping everyone prepare
for the future.

As always, Allan, please keep up the good work.  I know the feeling of
wanting to perfect a project, and at the end of the day this is your project
and you can do with it what you like.  Good luck with everything, I'm sure
you're having a blast developing it. :)

Thanks for everything,
Brandon