[TxMt] Re: How to Handle Odd Quotes

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 17:10:33 UTC 2010

Thanks. I'll give that a go.

I did get something to work; but I expect it to be messy. I added a
snippet that turns a single double quote (one double quote) and
expands to ``". This is working with my novel writing.

I'm writing in Markdown...but I wrote a Ruby gem that provides rake
commands that converts the Markdown into LaTeX, then compiles using
pdflatex. I'm in NaNoWriMo, and agumenting my rake tasks as
appropriate, and will later improve the gem then create a bundle that
implements those tasks. I'm happy in the terminal world (CLI and vim);
though TextMate is a close 2d.

I have to say, though, when I occasionally switch to vim, I'm reminded
why it's been my preferred editor for a decade. This is not a
detraction to TextMate. They say to become an expert you need to spend
10,000+ hours practicing/using. Assuming 1/2 my professional time was
in vim, that's just about 10,000 hours; but then I have countless
weekends pounding away. So, I'll say I have around 15,000 hours in
vim, and probably 200 in TextMate. And, I know it's not fair to
compare with that much of a skill discrepancy.

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Justin Catterall
<100621.1 at masonsmusic.co.uk> wrote:

> On 11 Nov 2010, at 18:37, Ben Wilson wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I started by turning off the "Auto-Pair characters" in
>> Preferences. I'm writing a novel and am using ``dialog" to demark
>> dialog. So, I guess the next thing is a snippet...
>
> You're not writing it in LaTeX are you? That uses the same quoting method,
> though I do have to hit ` twice to get ``'' and the cursor between.
>
> You might want to create your own bundle and dig those quotes out of either
> the LaTeX or TeX bundles and add them to yours.
>
> Looking further, it your document type is LaTeX and you hit Ctrl+` that
> wraps a selection in double quotes. Some interesting stuff in there.
>
> --
> Justin C, by the sea.

Ben Wilson
"We cannot determine the character or nature of a system within
itself. Efforts to do so will only generate confusion and disorder."
Boyd