[TxMt] Re: Rolling back to a previous version of TxMate

Sat Nov 13 18:34:02 UTC 2010

On 13 Nov 2010, at 18:42, Marc Chanliau wrote:

> I understand your workaround, I've used it before, but it defeats the
> purpose of what I want to do (I can't send a program with the workaround in
> it to a user that doesn't have TxMate!). I want to run Ruby programs with
> keyboard input from within TxMate.

I don’t follow. How does downgrading TextMate on *your system* change that the fix for interactive input is local?

What exactly do you want to send to other users? If you want to send them TextMate, send them a copy of your version with the tm_interactive_input.dylib.

> It used to work, then was broken, then worked again in build 1589. I upgraded to 1616 only to find out that that feature was broken again.

The capability in question relies on injecting code into other software which alter behavior of lowlevel system functions.

It took us some time to perfect it, but Snow Leopard set us back significantly.

I decided to remove the injected library since it is causing lots of issues — expert users can still install it themselves, but should be aware of the compatibility problems with Snow Leopard.

> Also, when you put out a new version you should mention what is broken in
> that new version. I understand that these things (regressions) happen, but
> it would be great to have a heads up so that one can choose to upgrade (or
> not) based on that knowledge.

As said, this feature is not directly in TextMate r1589 or removed from r1616, it is simply an *additional* file which you can add to r1616 — there is no point in downgrading to r1580 to get back this feature.

But if you absolutely insist on doing it your way, then the old archive is here: http://download.macromates.com/TextMate_r1589.tbz — remember to then disable version checks in Preferences → Software Update.