[TxMt] Re: manipulating full lines rather than selection

Fri Nov 5 15:11:52 UTC 2010

On Nov 5, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Tim Diggins wrote:

> However the more I think about it, the more I think that the current behaviour with (what you might call sloppy multi-line selection), for indent/dedent and comment/uncomment  is not very helpful. Indeed I can't understand what need the current behaviour serves (i.e. should be treated as a bug).

I comment selections now and then (usually at the end of a line). I agree that use cases for doing this on multiple-line selections are less common, but even there it can come in handy. CSS is a prime example, since it only has block style commenting.

.one {
  padding: 0em;
}
.two {
  padding: 1em;
}

If I wanted to comment out the “one” class and selected the first three lines, I would end up breaking the “two” class.

/*.one {
  padding: 0em;
}
*/.two {
  padding: 1em;
}

So I get around this by selecting everything but the newline.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>