[TxMt] Re: Textmate's bundle Insert Scratch Snippet steals accented S (Ś) character shortcut

Dru Kepple dru at summitprojects.com
Fri May 7 17:24:11 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: textmate-bounces+dru=summitprojects.com at lists.macromates.com [mailto:textmate-bounces+dru=summitprojects.com at lists.macromates.com] On Behalf Of Rob McBroom
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 7:56 AM
To: TextMate users
Subject: [TxMt] Re: Textmate's bundle Insert Scratch Snippet steals accented S (Ś) character shortcut

On May 6, 2010, at 3:39 PM, Steve King wrote:

> It doesn't sound right to simply report a behavior. "When I do this, that happens."  Um, yeah, and...? Is that a complaint or a compliment?  At least adding "I think this is a bug." lets the reader know it's a complaint.

I think he was asking why people say "bug" when there's no bug. In other words, why say "this is a bug" instead of "this goes against established UI practices"?

My guess is that people expect bugs to get more attention, so it's an attempt to inflate the seriousness of the problem.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

Maybe some of us work in environments where everything that isn't perfect is considered a bug, so we're just used to a broad umbrella term.  I know at my agency, the project managers aren't exactly well-versed in what constitutes a bug and what doesn't, and everything is simply "a bug."  If there's a typo in the copy, it's a bug.  If something is functional but has been targeted for upgraded functionality, then that something is buggy until it's been upgraded.  If the internet connection is slow, it's a bug.  I know it tends to affect me into thinking on those terms, against my better judgment...

+dru