[TxMt] Re: Textmate's bundle Insert Scratch Snippet steals accented S (Ś) character shortcut

Steve King sking at arbor.net
Thu May 6 19:39:26 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-06 14:58, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> It is btw interesting that users sometimes find it useful to state
> that they feel something is a bug. That they need to state this
> probebly means they realize that the issue reported is not a typical
> bug (i.e. it doesn’t crash, misbehave, perform wrong action, etc.).
> I am asking in all seriousness, what is the perceived effect of
> including such remark?
> (group question, anyone feel free to answer)

Surely you've reported a bug (in whatever) before, Allan, only to get
told, "That's the way it's supposed to work."  I think that stating that
something's a bug is done to short-circuit that sort of response. It's
done to tell the developer "This behavior is *wrong*, even if it is per
design". I'm not saying that calling it a bug works, necessarily, just
that that's the rationale...

It doesn't sound right to simply report a behavior. "When I do this,
that happens."  Um, yeah, and...? Is that a complaint or a compliment?
At least adding "I think this is a bug." lets the reader know it's a
complaint.  In Adam's case it was probably redundant, since he cited
chapter and verse about what the correct behavior should be. Still,
better to err on the side of clarity.

Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer
Arbor Networks