[TxMt] Re: getbundles problem

Hans-Jörg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Wed Mar 24 08:28:23 UTC 2010

On Mar 23, 2010, at 10:41 PM, Gerd Knops wrote:

>> the same here. As far as I know /usr/local/bin owns root ie only root is allowed to write something in that directory. All other users/groups should only read and execute stuff in there; otherwise it's a security hole.
>>
> Actually the [homebrew][1] project seems to have other ideas, which one may or may not agree with.
>
> But in any case it is probably not a good idea to make assumptions or to impersonate the local hard disk sherif.

Hi Gerd,

of course, I agree and I revoke it. It was not my intention to make assumptions or to impersonate the local hard disk sherif. Solely the user is responsible about her/his hard disk.

The point here was that Ruby's popen routine is aware of such cases (I do not know why - but anyway) which cause the malfunction.

_Personally_ I think to assign writing access permission for all users to eg /usr/local/bin could cause trouble regarding eg the accidental deletion of files etc. esp. if you have a multi-user machine.

Cheers,
--Hans