[TxMt] Re: LaTeX Setup: Problems switching from TexShop to Textmate

Alex Ross z-textmate at lasersox.net
Thu Mar 11 00:36:34 UTC 2010

On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Robi Ragan wrote:

> I deleted all the .plist associated with macromates and it still
> insist on calling latex rather than pdflatex.
>
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009)
> (format=latex 2009.11.7)
>
> I have figured out which package is causing the problem. If I comment
> out \usepackage{epsfig}. Textmate will call pdflatex as so:
>
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009)
> (format=pdflatex 2009.11.7)
>
> The trouble is that is the very package I needed to insert pdfs into
> the document.
>
> Sigh...What a frustrating little program this is.
>
> Is there a different package I can use? Or should I investigate a
> different graphics format to insert into my LaTeX docs. I use R and
> inkscape to create all of the graphics I insert into LaTeX docs.

OK!  Here's what is going on.  When you include “epsfig” the script “texMate.py” that drives document compilation forces the use of plain latex, because “pdflatex” cannot process eps figures! You should be using “graphicx” [1].

—Alex

[1]: http://www.math.northwestern.edu/comp-help/including_graphics.html