[TxMt] selection question

bennett von bennett plastichairdoo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 23:32:22 UTC 2010

hi there - I'll keep it simple, here's what I'm trying to do:
I'm converting a text doc to a HTML doc and I decide I want to enclose a
paragraph in <p> tags (or whatever). so I manually select the paragraph and
use my command-ctrl-. command and everything's beautiful.
but wait I say to myself - I don't like having to take my fingers off the
keyboard to select the paragraph... oh I'll just use TM's 'Select Paragraph'
command (via recorded macro to assign keystroke).
but it turns out it doesn't work the way I want it to: 'Select Paragraph' -
and also 'Select Line' - both extend their selection past the last character
out to an apparently 'infinite' margin...
here is an example - I have this text:

Orsay School Group Lottery FormFor K–12 school groups a limited number of
free tickets are available for Monday-only viewings (9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.,
October 4 through December 13, 2010). These tickets will be distributed as a
lottery. Please read carefully the Orsay lottery guidelines below to
determine if the lottery system is appropriate for your class.
To apply, please complete the application below. For questions about the
lottery, please e-mail kerickson at famsf.org or call 415-750-2603.

and I select the first paragraph using the 'Select Paragraph' command and
then use the Cmd-Ctrl-. shortcut to enclose in <h3> this is what I get:

<h3>Orsay School Group Lottery FormFor K–12 school groups a limited number
of free tickets are available for Monday-only viewings (9:30 a.m. to 1:30
p.m., October 4 through December 13, 2010). These tickets will be
distributed as a lottery. Please read carefully the Orsay lottery guidelines
below to determine if the lottery system is appropriate for your class.
</h3>To apply, please complete the application below. For questions about
the lottery, please e-mail kerickson at famsf.org or call 415-750-2603.

notice that the </h3> tag is on the next line - obviously this is
undesirable and it slows down my coding way too much to have to then
manually take my cursor over and insert a return after the closing tag - so
much that it is obviously not worth it.

so for the sake of my being able to write readable code how do I accomplish
this?

thanks.
bennett