[TxMt] running python script with matplotlib

Claus clausenator at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 16:02:36 UTC 2010

Hi,
this is weird, and I know it has worked a couple of days ago. I am puzzled and not sure what to check anymore.
I am running the MacPorts Python installation

	which python
in terminal gives
	/opt/local/bin/python

In Textmate, I have the following Shell Variables set:
TM_PYTHON = /opt/local/bin/python
PYTHONPATH = /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages

When I run the script shown below from terminal using
python testscript.py
the matplotlib window pops up, and all is good.
When I run the script from within TextMate using cmd-R the script runs fine unitl just before the plt.figure() line. Then in the dock the "python rocket" symbol launches, but no Matplotlib window pops open, no error message, just the bouncing python rocket.

I tried changing backends in the matplotlibrc, but only "MacOSX" results in no error message, which is what I have previously used.

What could the reason be why matplotlib doesn't work anymore from within TextMate?

Thanks for your help!
Cheers,
Claus

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np
import scipy.special as sps

# create x-array
t = np.arange(-3.0, 3.0, 0.01)
# create y-array
x = sps.erf(t)

# print x-array vs. y-array
fig = plt.figure()
ax = fig.add_subplot(111)
ax.plot(t, x)
plt.show()

# printx-array and. y-array, just to see something
print t
print x
print "done! Yay!"