[TxMt] Re: TM2 in the Vaporware Awards

Timothy Reaves treaves at silverfieldstech.com
Fri Jan 1 15:48:55 UTC 2010

On Dec 23, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Alex Ross wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2009, at 7:45 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
>> heh… yesterday I proudly told my brother in law that I am now so mainstream that TM has made it to Wired’s vaporware list, though he didn’t know what vaporware was ;)
>
> “Congratulations” was my first thought…

	Congratulations indeed.  Nothing like allowing a product to founder, while the competition catches up, and surpasses.  I remember when TM outshone by far the Xcode editor.  That hasn't been the case now for a good long time.  Same for other editors.  I still use it, even with all of it's flaws, but only for a replacement for mvim.

	I understand software is hard; I've written a few million lines of code in my time.  I also understand how easy it is to get in over your head.  A particular company I worked for known best for internet search starts many of it's apps as small, single programmer projects.  Then they catch on like wildfire, and the company takes them over, and makes them capable of the larger attention base.  And they have great problems at this.  It is very difficult to take a small app that is popular, and turn it into a bigger app that is just as popular.  Especially with inadequate development resources.

	So, yes, TM is still very popular with the cult that use it.  But I'll tell ya what: at that afore mentioned company the majority of non-Java developers insist that emacs is still the best out there.  Draw your own conclusions.