[TxMt] Re: Cocoa development with Textmate no Xcode

Kevin LaCoste kevin.lacoste at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 04:49:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Gerd Knops <gerti-textmate at bitart.com>wrote:

My absolute favorite feature is that all my log output shows up in
> Textmate's build panel with a clickable link, leading me directly to that
> place in code. All you need to do is make sure log output has a certain
> prefix (eg you need a custom NSLog replacement).

That sounds like an interesting tip for a blog post (hint, nudge, wink)!

I would second the opinion that it's probably smarter to keep Xcode for your
project management tasks while you are learning. If you're working through
tutorials or a book things will be much easier to follow along with, not to
mention all of Apple's sample code.

I'm sure my setup is pretty simple but it basically amounts to me dropping
the project folder on TextMate and using it for all
editing/searching/navigating then switching to Xcode for build/run/debug
type stuff. Getting familiar with the triggers for Cocoa and the general
navigation aids is probably the most important thing to do. Command-T and
command-shift-T are huge.

I too would be very interested to hear how others are using TextMate to
eliminate trips to Xcode though.

Kevin LaCoste