[TxMt] Re: Cocoa development with Textmate no Xcode

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Wed Feb 24 17:58:53 UTC 2010

On Feb 24, 2010, at 11:22 AM, Jason Coffin wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Gerd Knops <gerti-textmate at bitart.com> wrote:
>> I don't think that is a good idea for someone in the learning stage. I use Xcode for project management, debugger and the built-in Clang, and TextMate for everything else. Which basically means I am using Xcode for maybe a couple minutes a day on average (at least for a project with a well-established code base).
>>
>> Unless you really know what you are doing, I'd think trying to do Cocoa development without using Xcode would be an uphill battle and end up costing you much more time than it will save you.
>>
>> But I am looking forward to read other folks opinion, being that I use TextMate full time for Cocoa development.
>>
>> Gerd
>
> Thanks Gerd,
>
> I'm going to take your advice and use Xcode for building/project
> management and stick with Textmate for editing. Maybe once I get more
> comfortable with Cocoa I will look into Xcode alternatives.

Actually I use Textmate for building and running as well. I basically only switch to Xcode to add/remove files from the project, and for the occasional run where I need the debugger.

I replicate Xcode's group setup in the file system, and just pen the project folder in Textmate. That way the structure in both is similar.

> Of course, I'm still interested in others opinions.

IIRC Allan uses Textmate exclusively for Textmate2 development. I think when you work for years on a single project with a fairly static setup that will work, but for general work I'd still prefer the Xcode/Textmate hybrid.

My absolute favorite feature is that all my log output shows up in Textmate's build panel with a clickable link, leading me directly to that place in code. All you need to do is make sure log output has a certain prefix (eg you need a custom NSLog replacement).

Gerd