[TxMt] Re: still problems with matplotlib

Tony S Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 02:16:00 UTC 2010

On Feb 9, 2010, at 7:40 PM, Alex Ross wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Tony S Yu wrote:
>
>> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
>> plt.plot([0,1])
>
> If I remove the interactive input dylib and add a call to “plt.show()”, this script works.  Actually, this script doesn't even work from Terminal unless I'm in interactive mode with python.  This is because “plot” is non-blocking, it just draws the plot in the window, and returns.  Python then exits, and the window disappears.  The “show” *is* blocking, so python remains running until you close the window.  In interactive python you don't need the call to show, because python is going to block waiting for user input anyway.
>
> As for why the dylib breaks matplotlib, I'm not exactly sure yet.  Looking into it…

Actually, on my system, I have issues before even calling plt.show(). The example above (w/o plt.show) should quit without showing any sort of plot, but on my system, python/textmate just hangs. The hanging happens regardless of whether or not I call plt.show.

Since both you and Mark (see previous reply) can get around this issue by removing dylib but I can't, either there are two different issues or I have tm_interactive_input.dylib in some as-yet-undiscovered location. So far I've removed the dylib from:

~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Support/lib/
/Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/

Is this file copied or cached anywhere else? (I've already searched with Finder and the locate command.)

-Tony