[TxMt] Re: TextMate for the iPad

Niels Kobschaetzki n.kobschaetzki at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 4 16:36:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Max Lein <realoreocookie at gmx.de> wrote:
> I want to know whether someone other than me would like to have a version of TextMate for the iPad? Let me explain: I use TextMate primarily for TeX and some trivial modifications of websites. I could get by with a simple text editor and since the iPad allows one to use an external keyboard, I could type comfortably for hours on it.
>
> Since (as far as I understand) TextMate is very modular and the interface very minimal, one should be able to whip up a nice, clean interface for the iPhone OS?
>
> What do you guys think: have I been caught in Steve's reality distortion field or is there a market for an editor on the iPad?

I know already several people who'd like to see TextMate or
SubEthaEdit for the iPad. But I don't know if the porting is as easy
as one thinks. There needs to be a total UI-overhaul (no menubar
available and everything else is right now nice for the usage with a
mouse but not if you use a touchscreen), then there's the question if
TM uses stuff that might not be available in Cocoa Touch.

Niels