[TxMt] Difficulty using TextMate as external editor

Ian Greig greiggy at mac.com
Fri Dec 31 12:13:05 UTC 2010

I'm a new user and I don't have a Unix background, so I am struggling with
Section 21.1. in the manual.

I am attempting to use TextMate as an external editor.

1. It works fine with my various Cocoa apps, with the shortcut showing up in
the Edit menu. No problems here.

2. I need to use TextMate with Tinderbox (a non Cocoa app). Users on the
Tinderbox forum have various ways of doing this, either using the "mate"
command in Terminal, or using a variety of ways of calling this command.

However, my problem is that I cannot get commands via terminal to import
text, or save it back. "mate -h" does bring up a menu of commands, so that
much is working. Quite likely, this is owing to my lack of experience with
the command line.

I have read and re-read section 21.1. but it assumes a familiarity with Unix
and CL operation which is new ground to me.

I would really appreciate a *simple*, assuming-nothing, explanation of what
I need to do to copy contents of a window from my non-Cocoa app (Tinderbox)
into TextMate, and then back again -- presumably using some variant of the
"mate" command via Terminal.