[TxMt] Re: [slightly OT] info request on git/git bundle

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 12:58:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Piero D'Ancona <pierodancona at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nigel Metheringham <nigel.metheringham at ...> writes:
>

> Thanks Nigel and Chris!

After dipping your toes in introductory material about git, I can't
recommend anything written by Scott Chacon enough.

Scott works for github and seems to serve as their main git 'educator'

He wrote a book called Pro Git and although it's a printed book sold
by Apress, the entire book is readable online

http://progit.org/book/

And if you look at recent blog articles on that site, you can find
versions for the Kindle, iPad etc.

Some of the introductory expositions of git are too close to
presenting git as too much like things like SVN. While there are
similarities, if you continue to think of git (or other distributed
VCSes) as a different implementation of a more traditional VCS you'll
run into some head scratching mysteries when you really start to use
it.

OTOH, I've found git in general to produce less head scratching
mysteries in it's use than SVN ever did.

--
Rick DeNatale

Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
Twitter: @RickDeNatale