[TxMt] Re: TM lags when switching

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Sep 24 21:41:01 UTC 2009

On Sep 24, 2009, at 12:34 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 24 Sep 2009, at 01:22, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> [...] There seems to be some data on this if I look, but mostly
>> related to
>> projects, which I am not using.  There are a few comments in various
>> blogs where others do share the same experience.

Allan, thanks for sticking with me on this....

> There is a well known and understood delay when re-scanning projects
> while switching back to TextMate.

Yes, that is not my issue.

> As I understand what you are saying, you experience a delay when
> switching _away_ from TextMate and _only_ if you press ⌘S
> immidiately
> before ⌘⇥, right?

I would not bet my life on the command-s and then switch idea.  It is
my workflow:
save -> switch to browser -> refresh -> switch back to TM.

I rarely would ever need to toggle from TM without a save.

> Find out if ⌘S is slow. E.g. try ⌘S + ⌘N — does the new
> document appear instantly? If not, is the File menu highlighted while
> waiting for the new document to open?

Oh, I have seen this indeed, and it usually leads to a crash. If
command-n takes more than a second, and I get a beach-ball, I will end
up with a crash.  hitting the preview in running browsers is something
that will crash me on occasion as well.  TM is so fast to launch, I
rarely mind, but it does happen enough that I have gotten in the habit
of clearing out the logs folder, as there become hundreds of them.

I think I can time machine and get a good deal of them back..
Here are a few:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/340087/Drops/09.24.09/TextMate_2009-08-30-182246_macbook-263eff2d-143810.crash

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/340087/Drops/09.24.09/TextMate_2009-09-05-193301_macbook-64e12fc3-143826.crash

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/340087/Drops/09.24.09/TextMate_2009-09-08-214001_macbook-a5628c8c-143834.crash

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/340087/Drops/09.24.09/TextMate_2009-09-17-231818_macbook-cee486c8-143842.crash

And one Safari one, since that is caused to crash by TM, when I tell
TM to preview in running browsers:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/340087/Drops/09.24.09/Safari_2009-09-11-011221_macbook-4abf5e61-143853.crash

Thank you again, I will be paying closer attention to try to get a
repeatable case.