[TxMt] Re: opening textmate from other apps not working

Wed Sep 23 21:37:24 UTC 2009

On 23 Sep 2009, at 06:27, Steven Klass wrote:

> Would someone who has this running on 10.5.8 with 1.5.9 please do the
> following and TextMate open and Safari pointed at http://
> www.google.com
> From the terminal
>> sample TextMate 10
> switch to a Safari and the input dialog box at Safari type your
> sequence ⌃⌘E.  From this Textmate should pop up type the word
> test and save
> it back to Safari.

Not sure what this should show, but during the last month/months there
have been a handful of people reporting that the hack installs fine,
but using the menu item is a no-op. Maybe a newer WebKit (though it
still works for me on SL)? So far most people disappear again (they
troubleshoot were both using it with regular one-line <input> fields
which it does not work with (it did in the past, but WebKit is a
moving target and I stopped chasing it).

Best to test this in TextEdit, as that is using NSTextView rather than
WebKit.

Ciaran did a debug version of the input manager: http://github.com/ciaran/edit-in-textmate
  with some extra debug output. You can install that instead, and see
what you get out of the output. You need to enable debug messages:

     defaults write -globalDomain EditInTextMateDebugEnabled -bool YES