[TxMt] Running programs that require input in TextMate

Jonathan Elliott jon_elliott at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 3 22:26:38 UTC 2009

This is probably a bit of a noobish question, but since most recently
updating TextMate I've been having problems making programs which require
input run correctly through TextMate. Before the recent update I had no
problems.

For example, if I write a simple C program such as the following
(getchar.c):

#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
    printf("Please type a character:\n");
    printf("You entered %c", getchar());
    return 0;
}

and then hit Command-R to run the program, TextMate doesn't bother to ask me
to type anything but just defaultly takes EOF as its input. Before updating,
TextMate would come up with a dialogue box telling me that input was
required, with the option to send EOF to the program, but this no longer
happens.

The above program runs fine in terminal, via "gcc getchar.c;
./getchar.c.out" for instance.

The problem persists with other languages too, such as Ruby. Presumably
there must be a simple way to fix it. Has a setting that tells TextMate what
to take as STDIN been changed?

Thanks in advance.