[TxMt] Re: The LaTeX compiler gives "env: ruby: No such file or directory" error

Alex Ross j at lasersox.net
Fri Oct 23 17:54:50 UTC 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 9:24 AM, W.P. McNeill wrote:

> I recently switched from fink to Macports and reinstalled a bunch of
> stuff, including Ruby and Ruby Gems.  Ruby works fine on the system:
> I can run "ruby", "irb", "gems", and "env ruby".  (This is the
> Macports install, so all Ruby binaries are now in /opt/local/bin.)
> However, When I try to compile a LaTeX file from inside Textmate I
> get the following error:
>
> env: ruby: No such file or directory
>
> Presumably Textmate is still looking for my old version of Ruby.
> Where can I change this setting?

You need to set your PATH variable for TextMate to find the Ruby in /
opt/local/bin.  See here:

http://lasersox.net/textmate_and_the_PATH

Did you erase the ruby in /usr/bin/ruby?  Some things (beyond just
TextMate) can depend on that being around, so it is best not to erase
it.  You can install multiple copies of Ruby and choose which one you
want active by changing the order that directories in PATH are listed.

—Alex