[TxMt] Autocomplete word

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Sun Nov 22 13:07:29 UTC 2009

Hi

Allan wrote about autocomplete and F5 :

"You can use 'escape' to auto-complete. Although it's not exactly the same as the systems function (the system brings up a menu, TextMate just inserts the first match and lets you cycle between matches with [shift] escape)."

1) Almost every text box you use is a Cocoa text box ( Safari web form boxes, the documents in Pages or TextEdit, the email composer in Mail, etc...)  and F5 is used to autocomplete words ( there is a bug with french dictionnary because if you complete Étu you lose the accent and you get Etude )

The  text boxes in Textmate are not Cocoa however,   why F5 and not F6 or another key in the Text Bundle?

F5 is used by Apple’s Cocoa text system  so perhaps it's preferable to respect the Apple guide.

I now I can change the shortcuts or modify / create keybindings.dict but ...

How many shortcuts of the Apple’s Cocoa text system are modified by TextMate?

2) I suppose there is a technical problem to implement the F5 functionality but  F5 is very interesting with TextEdit or Page because  the completion with the dictionnary is fine and the language is auto detected,  ⎋  and  ⌥ ⎋  are fine  ( ⌥ ⎋ has always  a bug with LaTeX ) but is it  possible in TextMate to implement the F5 functionality?

Best Regards

 Alain Matthes