[TxMt] Bundles, using and developing best practices

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Wed Nov 18 18:16:42 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I am somewhat confused about what the best practices are to use and develop bundles theses days.

What I used to do was to have a checkout of the subversion directory in "/Library/Application Support/TextMate". That allowed me to easily apply fixes and commit them. And when I wanted to use a bundle from "Review" I just created a symlink of that bundle to "~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles".

Now we have some bundles left in subversion, many bundles migrated to github. We got Allan's "bl" tool (not sure what to do with "Managed", I made "Pristine Copy" a symlink to it), and we got Hans' "GetBundles" which seems rather nice too.

I guess gone are the days where a single "svn update" would get you the latest of all bundles.

What do you use and how?

I am also not sure how to develop/change bundles that are hosted on github. My current approach is:

- Delete the bundle from "Pristine Copy" (if it is there)
- Create a fork on github (or if it is a new bundle create a new repository)
- Clone that fork to "Pristine Copy"
- Make changes, push and send a "pull request" to the owner of the original bundle.

What are the recommended/best working workflows?

Thanks

Gerd