[TxMt] Re: hightlight macro

JiHO jo.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 8 14:08:01 UTC 2009

On 2009-May-07  , at 05:21 , baptiste auguie wrote:

> I'm using a command line to create a html snippet with embedded css
> to post on a Wiki. At the moment I run,
>
> highlight test.r -H --inline-css  --fragment  --enclose-pre   --
> style print | pbcopy
>
> on the command line. I'd like to create a macro in TM so that I can
> get the same processing applied to selected text in a document. I've
> never written any TM macro and I don't know Ruby (or bash for that
> matter). Would you be kind enough to help me out?

Apparently highlight (is that a command of your creation or something
else? It would help to know a little more about it) takes a file as
argument. So the only ways to have it work on a selection are:
1- to modify highlight to accept either a file or some raw text from
standard input (or only raw text)
2- copy the current selection to a temporary document and feed that to
highlight

If 1, then you can use highlight with no argument and set TM to feed
it selection or document. If the new version can only be made to
accept raw text you can still use it independently this way:
	cat doc.r | highlight -H -...

If 2, the command would look like

	# create a temporary document (cleanly)
	tmpDoc=$(mktemp)
	# fill it with TM input (selection or doc)
	cat > $tmpDoc
	# feed it to highlight
	highlight $tmpDoc -H -...

Otherwise, depending on the purpose of these snippets, there are
plenty of online paste boards with syntax highlighting support for R,
and one is accessible from textmate (Paste selection online). You get
something like this:
	http://pastie.textmate.org/private/epwkcdngtzljzkf1zxg
with a link you can embed in other pages (and I guess also in a wiki).
I am also pretty sure I saw some that could output the html  that is
displayed (with the colors etc.).

Hop that helps.

JiHO
---