[TxMt] Re: "Edit in TextMate" not working in builds after 1498

Wed Jun 24 15:18:42 UTC 2009

On 24 Jun 2009, at 17:01, J. De Salvo wrote:

> [...]
> OK. This is weird. I have the opposite problem. Works for me in the
> latest OW sneakpeek. Does NOT work in Mail.
>
> Allan, care to hazard a guess?

There are really 3 things that Edit in TextMate patches:

  1. NSTextView, as used e.g. in TextEdit.app
  2. Text views in WebViews, that is, <textarea> in Safari.
  3. Editable WebViews, this is what Mail uses, not sure how well
documented this is.

Long ago the patching of #3 broke in such way that it was no longer
able to get the content, but it can still send back new content, and
it will get selected content. So to use it with Mail either a) press
⌘A before use or b) just use it, you get an empty document in
TextMate, but write something and save, and that goes back to Mail.app.

Oh… that said, ⌃⌘E seems to be eaten in some applications (like
Mail), which started some time ago. Personally I added a custom key
binding on ⌃⇧E which is what I use instead, this is slightly more
robust than ⌃⌘E.

   % grep editInTextMate ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict

       "^E" = "editInTextMate:";

Would be nice if all this wasn’t so hackish ;)