[TxMt] Texmate 2

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Jun 14 21:53:19 UTC 2009

This hit the front page of reddit today, thought it would be good to
let the list know about it.  I found it to be a well written piece and
keeps me happy moving forward.

http://blog.macromates.com/2009/working-on-it/

There are a good deal of comments on the blog as well as reddit about
the no pay for version 2 issue.  I am more or less in the camp of
"charge for version 2", especially if the lack of a charge is in any
way adding to a lack of motivation to get 2 out the door.

That being said, I do not believe it would be wise to go against a
statement made in the past that version 2 would be a free upgrade.
Remember, there is nothing stopping any of us from just buying version
2 outright when it comes out if that is the direction you want to go in.

This may skew stats a little on new users, versus upgrade users which
could be undesirable.  My suggestion, when this day comes, simply make
version two require a checkout process, to get a new serial, and
charge $0.00 to whatever you feel it is worth.

Personally, if version 2 solves a good deal of my needs that are
lacking in version 1, I will be donating one way or another, $100.00
for my copy.  I pay my mortgage, dinners, clothes, and the rest of my
life as a result of TextMate, $100.00 is a small price to pay for
making it easier for me to make a living.

Thank you for coming forward with a new plan to keep users updated on
the progress.  It has been long overdue, though users are generally
forgiving.  I also feel, the most vocal, that make a lot of noise, are
probably a very small percentage of the true count of the user base.

Yay for 2.0 news!  Very nice to know at least one person is using 2.0
on a daily basis as well.
Have a nice end of the weekend to you all.