[TxMt] Re: Spaces in the path/to/TextMate.app

Sun Jul 26 10:03:30 UTC 2009

On 25 Jul 2009, at 01:53, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> What really caught me with my pants down is that in Ruby, a path
> used in
> IO.popen has to receive explicit escaping, although a path used in
> (say)
> "require" does not. However, I believe my pants are now back up again.

IO.popen effectively hands over your string to the shell, so it goes
through normal shell parsing.

> I did notice, though, doing a Google search on stuff like "TextMate
> space
> pathname", that I'm not the only person ever to encounter this issue.

Yeah, it is a very common problem. What you need to do is add this line:

     require ENV['TM_SUPPORT_PATH'] + '/lib/escape'

Then whenever you send a string to the shell, use the e_sh function to
properly escape it. E.g.:

     path = "some path with spaces"
     dst  = ENV['TMPDIR'] || "/tmp"

     IO.popen("cp #{e_sh path} #{e_sh dst}", …)

Though since we are sending the string to the shell we can also use
shell variables and quote those to account for potential spaces, e.g.:

     IO.popen("cp #{e_sh path} \"$TMPDIR\"", …)

Or more true to the org. code:

     IO.popen("cp #{e_sh path} \"${TMPDIR:-/tmp}\"", …)