[TxMt] Re: git noob question - bundle on github: how?

minimal design textmate at minimaldesign.net
Mon Jul 13 12:47:17 UTC 2009

>> I got a HTML + CSS bundles that a few people use and I've been asked
>> to put them on github... So I'm looking into how you do that.
>> Ideally,
>> I'd like to just edit my bundles in TextMate, and push the update to
>> github when I come up with new snippet improvement, command, bug fix,
>> etc... But that mean I need to combine both of those (using mCSS as
>> example) first right?:
>>
>> ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Pristine Copy/Bundles/
>> mCSS.tmbundle
>> ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/mCSS.tmbundle
>
> I can?t see how this is related to git; don?t you have to do that
> anyway when you make your bundle available anywhere?

It's not directly related to git. I was just giving a little bit of
context so that people can understand what I'm trying to do. Now I can
see how my email subject might not be optimum... sorry.

>> How do you guys do it?
>
> I keep the bundles I hack on completely in ~/.../TextMate/Bundles, and
> those I mainly just _use_ in ~/.../Pristine Copy/Bundles. That way,
> editing my own bundles in TextMate changes exactly the files I want to
> push out, while my changes to other bundles is kept outside of their
> source tree and won?t lead to merge conflicts.
>
> Going back to git, when you create a repository on GitHub it gets you
> to a page containing step by step instructions for getting your source
> tree or local repository into the new remote repository.

I'm not asking help on how to create a git repo or using github etc.
That's fine... What I'm not clear about is how you manage the workflow
so that you don't have to copy the bundles to a different place and
just make the bundles you're using within TextMate repos themselves.
Or if you shouldn't do that at all? How do you "keep the bundles I
hack on completely in ~/.../TextMate/Bundles"? Do you manually copy
from the pristin/ folder first? Because the ~/.../TextMate/Bundles
only contains the changes you've made to~/.../Pristine Copy/Bundles
right? So you can't just push that without including what in Pristine
too. Or am I over thinking this somehow?

Thanks again!