[TxMt] PHP Commenting Seems Somewhat Broken

William Makley william at pioneerstreet.com
Wed Jan 28 20:32:40 UTC 2009

I am currently using all the absolute bleeding edge releases of all
the TextMate bundles (courtesy of the example "mateup" script in the
wiki), and the other day I hit Command + / to comment a selection in
PHP, and got HTML comments instead (that <!-- --> business). I haven't
edited the relevant bundles at all. Has anyone else noticed this bug?

Simply make a new document, switch the bundle to HTML, and type some
PHP to reproduce the bug:

<?php

function my_function() {
	echo "aw man the auto comments are broken";
}

?>

After selecting the function, and pressing command + /, this is the
result:

<?php

<!-- function my_function() {
	echo "aw man the auto comments are broken";
} -->

?>

If I press Command + Slash once more, things get a little weirder:

<?php

// <!-- function my_function() {
// 	echo "aw man the auto comments are broken";
// } -->

?>

I realize I could just revert to the release version, but I thought
someone might like to know about this.

In addition, the problems are not necessarily isolated to the handling
of PHP within HTML. If I switch to the "PHP" bundle instead of HTML,
the commenting works (using slashes for each line - I would kind of
prefer /* */ to be honest because occasionally it is useful to place
comments between expressions on the same line), but destroys the
indentation of my function:

<?php

// function my_function() {
//  echo "aw man the auto comments are broken";
// }

?>

When I undo the comments, the indentation is still messed up.

Thanks,
William