[TxMt] Re: "Edit in Textmate" failing for Mail.app?

Jon Ippolito jippolito at maine.edu
Wed Jan 7 12:25:57 UTC 2009

Hi Dave,

Well, I've just started :) and probably wouldn't use it for quick
replies. But my motivations for using Edit in TextMate were:

* Snippets make it easy to boilerplate responses. I know there are
Mail plugins to help with this, but I haven't seen any with TextMate's
Regex capabilities. I used to use TextExpander but the current version
conflicts with my Dvorak keyboard.

* When I write a long email I often like to save a text file version
for future reference.

* I work in digital preservation and know that all those Microsoft
Word documents will eventually become unreadable. Using TextMate as my
text editor, blogging platform, and now email editor lets me keep non-
proprietary versions of all my documents. (I save most everything as
HTML.)

Of course, there are wrinkles I haven't smoothed out yet. For
instance, when I select part of a quoted message in Mail.app and Edit
in TextMate, the overall quote level seems to increase for some reason
when I return to Mail. But so far, so good.

jon
/RNN (http://responsenotnecessary.com)