[TxMt] Re: How do you force carriage return after 80 characters?

Guido Governatori gvdgdo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 08:48:15 UTC 2009

On 22/12/2009, at 7:30 PM, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:

> On 21.12.2009, at 15:27, King, Steven wrote:
>
>> Wow, talk about swatting a fly with a hammer! :-)
>
> Yes, of course ;)
>
> But here's an other approach - a plugin.
>
> Simply double-click at it to install.
>
> - then restart TM and go to Main Menu > Text > …
> - you will see a menu item "Auto-Reformat Paragraph"
> - click on it for switching it on/off
>
> The plugin listens at any changes of the current doc (the length of the text buffer) and at changes of any Wrap Column settings (including window resizing). If it was triggered a "Reformat Paragraph" will be executed delayed by 1 sec if TM is idle (meaning if no changes are made for 1sec).
>

> Comments?

It seems to me that the plugin has a few problems:

1) how to prevent to reformat already formatted paragraphs?

suppose you have a few  short lines

xxx
yyy
zzz

the plugin reformats the lines above as

xxx yyy zzz.

A real TM hard-wrap option would be good (I think it was asked several times with no avail).

2) it seems it introduces some incompatibilities with some latex bundle commands, for example, with the commands for references and citations.

Here is the error output (for getting the list of BiBTeX citations)

tm_dialog: failed to establish connection with TextMate.
/Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/ui.rb:182:in `load': Cannot parse a NULL or zero-length data (OSX::PropertyListError)
	from /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/ui.rb:182:in `menu'
	from /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/ui.rb:177:in `popen'
	from /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/ui.rb:177:in `menu'
	from /tmp/temp_textmate.joS1lQ:12

similar for the internal references

All the best

Guido