[TxMt] Re: Troubling diagnostic about "InputManagers/Edit in TextMate"

Mon Dec 14 15:09:04 UTC 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 9:30 AM, Bryan Lockwood wrote:

> I fired up Firefox (the command-line version, so I could specify -jssh and use watir) and found
> the following complaint.
>
> firefox-bin[1614:903] Can't open input server /Users/bryanloc/Library/InputManagers/Edit in TextMate
>
> Looking in my console log, I find scads of messages to this effect.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

The short answer is “Input Managers are going away. Don’t use them.”

Some other things that might help:

* An Input Manager is loaded into every application, whether you need it there or not
* Input Managers only work in Cocoa apps. Firefox is Carbon, so they will never work there. With that in mind, I don’t know why the system would even attempt to load it, but perhaps this explains the error.
* If you’re using Snow Leopard, 64-bit apps don’t support Input Managers at all (but since Firefox is still hobbling along on MacOS 9 technology, I wouldn’t expect it to go 64-bit any time soon)

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

Don't try to tell me a thing is important to you if the whole of your “support” entails forcing others to spend time and money on it.