[TxMt] Rendered source code comments

David Whetstone david at humblehacker.com
Sat Aug 22 22:02:21 UTC 2009

Here's a suggestion I'm sure will never see the light of day, but one
I would love to see -- rendered source code comments.

Basically, I would like to have the option of adding commentary to my
code in whatever text-based format works best for the type of comment
I'm making (latex, markdown, rdoc, dot, etc.), and have those comments
rendered in-line, hiding the original text behind the rendered view.
The editor could have a hotkey to toggle between rendered comments and
regular text comments.  Some kind of 'meta'-markup could be used in
the comment to indicate to the editor how a particular block should be
rendered.

This is a lot like Knuth's literate programming concept, only less
invasive to your coding process and without requiring you to compile
your file to see the formatted commentary.

Imagine, you could have beautifully rendered diagrams, equations, and
discourse right in your source file.

Comments?