[TxMt] Re: Best way to copy bundles around?

Daniel Stockman daniel.stockman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 20:28:10 UTC 2009

> I have two Macs running TextMate 1.5.8.  I have some personal bundles
> that I want to keep in sync between the two machines.
> Any suggestions appreciated.  Note that I have MobileMe, and would
> love to cut down on the manual work that the above (unsuccessful)
> approach requires.

This becomes quite a bit easier when you use symbolic links combined
with a WebDAV-like resource (Dropbox, MobileMe's iDisk). Updating the
bundles is then simply a process of navigating to the "Bundles >
Bundle Editor > Reload Bundles" menu item in TM (with the WebDAV-like
resource set to automatically sync, of course).

First, physically move the personal bundles (directory named
MyPersonalBundle.tmbundle, for example) to the iDisk.
(Note that if the bundle is stored under Pristine Copy, you should cp -
r it out of there (onto the iDisk) but still symlink it into ~/Library/
Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/)

   cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Bundles/
   mkdir -p /Volumes/iDisk/TextMate/Bundles
   mv MyPersonalBundle.tmbundle /Volumes/iDisk/TextMate/Bundles/

Now create a symbolic link (`ln -s`) to your bundle from the userspace
Application Support directory (you're currently in it)

   ln -s /Volumes/iDisk/TextMate/Bundles/MyPersonalBundle.tmbundle .

And you should be done. Now when you edit the bundles in the Bundle
Editor, the changes will be made on the files in ~/Library/Application
Support/TextMate/Bundles/MyPersonalBundle.tmbundle, which is magically
linked to /Volumes/iDisk/TextMate/Bundles/MyPersonalBundle.tmbundle,
which automagically syncs, etc.

~ Daniel