[TxMt] Re: how can I make TextMate the default editor for text files on 10.5.6

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Mon Apr 6 04:19:57 UTC 2009

On 2009-Apr-5, at 11:46 PM, Adam Bryzak wrote:

> While it wouldn't make sense for all extension-less files to open in
> TextMate, it would to be able to change the default for files that
> would normally open in TextEdit when double clicked to instead open in
> another application.

I agree. The "get info" panel should let you alter the UTI (even if it
doesn't tell you that's what it's doing) and you should be able to
assign a default application by UTI somehow.

> This would not affect executable files as their default is to open
> using Tterminal.

No it wouldn't, but the work-around TextMate uses (that "works" in
10.4, but thankfully not in 10.5) does affect executable files. It
makes the Finder turn them all into "generic files". That's the kind
of thing I object to. (I actually had a patch that I applied to
TextMate's Info.plist with every new release to fix this behavior
under 10.4.)

> I mostly run into this issue with open source software when opening
> README, LICENSE, NOTICE, etc. files, which I now drag onto the dock
> to open.

I usually do too, though now that I think about it, I'm not sure why.
If you're just reading the file (not editing) and there's no syntax
highlighting to make reading easier, maybe TextEdit is enough.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

Because it screws up the order in which people normally read text.