[TxMt] TextMate's Project Drawer in Emacs?

Jonas Steverud jtvrud at bredband.net
Sun Sep 14 09:55:43 UTC 2008

Hello,

I've been using TM for the last couple of years but, as you all know,
a new major release is quite far into the future, and since those
issues that I have with TM won't go addressed for the coming few
years, I've decided to move back to Emacs. I had a list of things I
liked in TM, which Emacs was lacking, but I have found solutions for
each one of them, apart from one, last item. I know that this is not
an Emacs forum, but I expect quite a few here has moved from Emacs to
TM, as I did myself a few years ago, and thought it could be
interesting to hear your opinion on the issue (esp. since you will
have experience with both editors and would be able to understand the
issue better then the pure Emacs folk over at the Emacs forums).

My last remaining item is the project drawer; I do not use it much as
my projects usually are single file projects, but I think it is very
nice to have and I esp. like the concept that I can have files from
different directory trees in one project. I could not find a similar
concept in Emacs; neither Speedbar nor ECB since to be able to solve
my "problem", as they try to solve other, unrelated, problems. I
could use a directory structure but then I have to move some files
from other location into my main directory, I would like to avoid that.

The project I think of is my website to be specific, I have all files
in a directory structure under ~/Documents, but I have a number of
Perl scripts for maintenance located in ~/Applications, and some
additional support files located elsewhere, and I don't quite like
the concept of moving all those files (about 10 all in all I think)
to ~/Documents, even as symlinks.

Any nice, preferable light-weight, solution to this?

TIA.

/Jonas