[TxMt] Re: Automatic vs. manual tabs

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 12:13:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Trevor Harmon <trevor at vocaro.com> wrote:

> In TextMate, buffer tabs are automatic: A new tab is always opened
> whenever you click on a file in a project drawer. After a half hour of
> navigating source code, I suddenly find dozens of tabs open at the top
> of my editor window, but I can only see a few of them. This makes the
> tabs feature basically unusable.
>
> In contrast, web browser tabs operate quite differently. They're
> manual instead of automatic: A new tab doesn't open unless you
> explicitly open one. Until then, new data is displayed in the current
> tab. TextMate's tab feature would be much more useful to me if it
> worked this way --- the way web browsers do.
>
> Does anyone prefer the current (automatic) behavior?

I think that I'd prefer the current behavior with a slight change.

If instead of putting a newly opened tab at the end of the list (and
therefore out of sight if too many tabs are open) what if TM put the most
recently viewed tab at the head of the list, keeping the tabs in MRUish
order rather than LROish (least recently opened), order.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/