[TxMt] thoughts after a couple of weeks

Alex Rice mindlube at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 23:14:54 UTC 2008

TextMate is a good value. It's a small, fast editor and it makes me
feel productive. Can't wait to see what's under the hood in 2.0.

I was just thinking about what I like in editors, and I still use
Emacs and Eclipse depending on the project. I am switching to TextMate
for a lot of other stuff.

I probably would be using SlickEdit right now- it's a favorite! Except
it's expensive and it runs in X11 on Mac; it's not a native Mac UI.
Feature I really like from SlickEdit are:
*  symbol/tagging system. I forget what they call it, but it can
generate symbol lists to use for auto-complete and context help, for
various different languages.
*   keybinding emulation modes; e.g it has Emacs and a handful of others.

But anyways  I encourage Allan to make 2.0 the most awesome editor he
can, and not spend too much time on everything and the kitchen sink -
feature requests. Like the above, right ;-)  Otherwise you end up with
a Christmas Tree, not a lean & mean text editor.

Cheers