[TxMt] Re: Speed of latex in TM vs. TexShop

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at dckd.nl
Wed Oct 29 12:00:13 UTC 2008

Christopher Brewster wrote:
> I am a passionate devotee to TM but I notice that latex compiles much
> faster on TexShop than in TM.
> Is there something I can do to improve the performance of TM?
>
> TM takes 4-6  seconds to compile and display on skim.
> TexShop takes 2-3 seconds.

Is this using the same engine?
If you're using latexmk.pl in TM, then it is almost guaranteed to take
long, because it does all the necessary steps required for getting
references and citations, etc. right.

You can use the preferences of the latex bundle to set the engine you're
using. Try setting it to just pdflatex, and see if that makes a difference.

> Related to this is the question whether one can use a DVI viewer on
> the Mac instead of pdf in order to speed things up.
> I ask all this because a colleague whom I persuaded to move to the Mac
> finds TM inordinately slow and wants to go back to Winedt on windows
> because she finds the speed unbearable.

In my experience generating a dvi or a pdf is about the same speed.
But if you really want to use dvi's then an option is to use xdvi.

Jeroen.